Since our launch in 2020 Noble Naturopathic has been a leader in metabolic wellness in Vancouver. Thanks to our resting and active metabolic assessment, meal planning, body composition scanning and the application of a holistic approach to weight loss desire for our weight loss programming has grown.
Starting on September 17th, 2021 Dr. David Duizer ND, Co-owner of Noble, is leading a team of health experts and prominent wellness companies during a special featured radio series with morning host Kid Carson of Z95.3 in Vancouver.
The goal? Improve Kid’s overall health through weight loss, fitness improvement and body composition changes.
Here’s the plan:
Year in review
Over the past 18th months many of us have been working from home, eating a little more than usual and moving a little less than usual. Gyms have been closed. Of course, for some stress has been more significant. In our home, at least, there have been a few sleepless nights due to pandemic stress. What do these external influences and lifestyle changes typcially lead to? Weight gain.
At Noble we have been focused on supporting patients with their discipline, accountability and programming when it comes to fitness and nutrition. These pillars of health are extremely important to both healthspan and lifespan and letting them slide can increase the risk of chronic disease.
Some of the tools we have been using include; prescribing home/outdoor workouts that are effective, building simple nutrition programming that isn’t stressful or doesn’t cause patients to feel starving all the time, measuing VO2Max (cardiorespiratory fitness) to determine fitness levels and taking body composition measurements to better track body fat percentage and muscle mass.
For most we have been recommending eating for fitness with the potential for using a small daily deficit to support weight loss. Mostly we like to optimize for metabolism, muscle building and appetite satisfaction.
For some we recommend creating a significant calorie deficit once per month (as you will see with Kid’s plan below).
*Note: below is an example for how a protocol like this could be developed. It is not meant to be a recommendation for anyone other than Kid. This is not medical advice. For advice on how to build your own protocol contact us or your family doctor.
SEPT 18, 2021:
In September we completed our evaluation for Kid. He has given us permission to publish some of his results. This is the type of detailed data we provide to everyone completing a weight loss program with us.
- Metabolism – 2200 kcal per day (resting metabolic rate)
- VO2Max – 49 ml/min/kg
- Body composition:
- 197.3 lbs
- 84.4 lbs muscle
- 25.3% body fat
- boost resting metabolic rate
- improve VO2Max
- maintain muscle mass
- reduce body fat
Timeline – 12 weeks
Holistic approach considerations:
- Lifestyle – sleep, stress, diet, etc
- Mindset/goals – avoiding overeating, one day per week.
Our programming for Kid consists of an exercise plan, nutrition plan, calorie deficit plan and supplement routine. We are keeping him accountable by meeting weekly and taking body composition measurements monthly. Below you will find our starting protocol for Kid. This will change as the 12 weeks progress and we will try to keep this page updated.
2 Strength training sessions per week – full body x 60 min (focus on legs)
2 Long slow cardio per week (5 hours fasted) x 45-60 min at HR 131bpm (Zone 1 Fat Max)
2 HIIT x 30 min
One full body movements
One zone 4 session
- 500 calorie deficit daily
- Fasting mimicking diet (Prolon Meal Kit) x 5 days per month (end oct, nov and dec).
- Supplements for recovery and metabolic rate:
- Pre workout, BCAAs, vitamin C, metabolic boosting herbs
Companies involved in Kid’s Metabolic Makeover:
- Noble Naturopathic – leading the event – program design, metabolic analysis, body composition scan, one HIIT Session per week, leading a series of health assessments and challenges.
- Noble by Nature – providing powdered vitamin C for recovery
- Best Meals YVR – providing lunches that fit within Kid’s program
- Angeles Athletics – progressive overload strength training support, programming and weekly sessions
- Designs for Health – supplements – Pre-Train (pre-workout) and EndoTrim (metabolism booster)
- Metagenics – supplements – BCAA for post-workout recovery
- Prolon – providing one fasting mimiking diet kit
InBody – body composition scan at Noble
PNOE – resting and active metabolism testing at Noble
For Kid we recommended the following:
We are starting with our nutrition and exercise plan in September with a key goal being to – make this a lifestyle. We are starting out eating for fitness and suppressing hunger with healthy calories. After 30 days we will assess progress and adapt as required.
– Body composition monthly
– Metabolism in 3 months
– VO2Max in 3 months
Example Nutrition Plan
Kid Carson’s Metabolic Makeover – Nutrition Program designed by Dr. David Duizer ND of Noble Naturopathic:
5 AM: Coffee with Oat Milk
10 AM: Meal 1 (pre-made) – 700 calories (focus on lean proteins, veggies, whole grains and healthy fats) – pre-made meals provided by BestMeals YVR (examples from week 1 below)
Lamb Roast, Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Market Vegetables – slow roasted leg of lamb with rosemary & red wine gravy
Crab Cakes, Couscous & Quinoa Salad – oven baked crab cakes with gem tomato vinaigrette & red pepper aioli
Butter Chicken, Basmati Rice, Glazed Carrots & Green Beans – chicken breast marinated in garam masala and mild chili topped with a creamy cashew and tomato puree
Spinach Cannelloni & Zucchini Ribbons – spinach cannelloni with rose sauce, feta cheese & truffle oil
1 PM : Snack – 300 calories (snack options: nuts, veggies, guacamole, yogurt and fruits) (examples below):
Almonds – ¼ cup, Fruit – 1 piece
Greek yogurt – 1 cup, Fruit – 1 piece or ½ cup, hemp seeds – 1 tbsp
Celery (4 stalks or more) with peanut butter – 2 tbsp
6 PM: Meal 2 (build it yourself) – 1000 calories (focus on lean proteins, veggies, whole grains and healthy fats) – groceries provided by City Avenue Market (framework below – consider stir fry, salads, soups, etc):
Lean protein (chicken, fish, turkey, eggs, beans, tofu) – 100-200g – approx. 200-300 calories
Veggies (unlimited) – cooked or raw, assortment of choices – 2-3 different options per meal – approx. 200 calories
Healthy fats (feta, olive oil, seeds, avocado) – 2 tbsp for oils and cheeses, ½ to full avocado or ¼ to ½ cup seeds – approx. 300 calories
Whole grains – 1 cup cooked of rice, quinoa, pasta or 2 slices whole grain bread – approx. 200-300 calories
- Total calories for the day – 2000 – 6 days per week
- Creating a daily deficit of 700 – 1300 calories – goal 2lbs per week weight loss x 12 weeks
- Macronutrient goals: 40% carbohydrate, 30% protein, 30% fat
- Fasting 16 hours nightly
- Fasting Mimicking Diet – 5 days per month – details to follow.
Kid Carson’s Exercise Routine provided by Dr. David Duizer ND:
Split for week’s 1-2:
- Fasted steady state cardio x 2 per week – 60 minutes at heart rate 131bpm (maximum)
- Fed high intensity interval training x 2 per week – 30 minutes (see below for details)
- Fed resistance training x 2 per week – 60 minutes (see below for details)
1) Fasted steady state cardio x 2 per week
60 minutes at heart rate 131bpm (maximum heart rate for exclusive fat burning training)
Can be done using running, biking, rowing, elliptical, etc
Focus on breathing and pacing
2) Fed high intensity interval training x 2 per week (provided by Dr. David Duizer ND of Noble Naturopathic)
30 minutes per session
Session 1 – Sprint training (can be any method of cardio)
Warm up x 5 min – 10 min
30 seconds all-out sprinting (Zone 5 heart rate)
90 seconds recovery training (Zone 1 heart rate)
Repeat x 8 rounds
Cool down x 5 min
Session 2 – Tempo Training (can be any method of cardio)
Warm up x 5 min – 10 min
4 minutes vigorous intensity exercise (Zone 4 heart rate)
4 minutes moderate intensity exercise (Zone 2 heart rate)
Repeat x 4 rounds
Cool down x 5 min
3) Fed resistance training x 2 per week (provided by Justin Angeles of Angeles Athletics)
Full body workout
Warm up x 5 min – 10 min
Core activation (series of exercises)
3 sets of 10-12 repetitions for the following exercises (superset two exercises at a time):
- Bench press
- Goblet squat
- Pull down
- Shoulder press
- Walking lunge
- Bent over row
- Lateral raise
- Stability/burnout to finish – 3 sets of 15-20 (select few exercises)
- Single leg deadlift, stability ball hamstring curls, quad burnouts, etc)
Kid Carson’s Supplement Routine provided by Dr. David Duizer ND:
- BCAAs by Metagenics – 1 scoop (7g)
- Buffered Vitamin C by Noble by Nature – ½ tsp (2g)
- Vitamin D3 by Noble by Nature – 1 drop (1000IU)
- EndoTrim by Designs for Health – 2 capsules
Pre-Train by Designs for Health – ½ scoop
EndoTrim by Designs for Health – 2 capsules
30 minute body composition scan and check in – last week of Oct and Nov.
60 minute metabolic analysis December 15th.
Our goal here – with Kid it is simple. We want to show that by tracking the data that we assess (VO2Max, body composition, etc) and applying simple exercise and nutrition programming we can improve overall health and wellness that is sustainable.
– Dr. David Duizer ND