PNOE Metabolism Analysis + Precision Weight Loss
Start your 6 Week Metabolism Makeover today – nutrition plan and exercise program included. *We offer direct billing for extended medical coverage.
Precision Holistic Metabolism Support
At Noble we believe the holistic approach to wellness requires precision assessments of body function. The PNOE Metabolic test provides us with detailed information about heart, lung, muscle health and overall metabolism. This test enables us to assess calorie burn, strength, posture and fat burning efficiency.
What is the PNOE Metabolism Assessment?
The PNOE Metabolic Device is an accurate mobile tool used by major sports teams, olympic athletes and university research programs to assess oxygen usage and carbon dioxide clearance at rest and during exercise. In other words, it assesses metabolic rate.
This measurement allows your Naturopathic Doctor to determine your ability to burn carbohydrates and fat for fuel, how to exercise for fitness and weight loss, how to improve the longevity of your lungs and heart and how to become the best at your chosen sport or activity.
What is included in your precision weight loss assessment at Noble?
*Please note: your initial visit is 1 hour and programming follow up is 30 minutes.
– InBody Body Composition Scan – to determine your muscle mass and body fat percentage
– Resting Metabolic Rate Test – to determine your calorie burn at rest and fat burning efficiency
– Active Metabolism Test – to determine your calorie burn during exercise and fitness level
What is included in your precision weight loss programming session at Noble?
– Results Review – detailed analysis of both resting and active metabolic rate, VO2Max scoring, fat max determination, etc
– Nutrition Program – based on your calorie burn at rest, fat burning efficiency and nutritional preferences
– Exercise Program – based on your exercise efficiency, muscle mass, aerobic health, access to equipement and exercise preferences
– Holistic Approach and Supplement Considerations – a Naturopathic approach to weight loss may include hormone balancing, insulin control and inflammation reduction
How do I test – Vancouver’s PNOE Clinic
The PNOE Resting Metabolic Rate and Active Metabolism Tests at Noble are both included during the PNOE Metabolic Analysis.
Testing is very easy and only takes 60 minutes. Here are the steps you need to follow to have your metabolism tested with Dr. Duizer:
1) First, book a test on this website or call 604-734-7760.
2) Before your test make sure to follow these pre-test instructions:
- Fast for 5 hours before the test
- Avoid caffiene for 5 hours before the test
- Avoid intense exercise greater than 1 hour for 24 hours before your test
- Avoid smoking for 4 hours before your test
3) Arrive at Noble Naturopathic 15 minutes before your test time. Relax in our waiting area.
4) Complete your body composition scan (InBody) to determine your muscle mass, body fat percentage, visceral fat level, muscle mass distribution and total water weight.
5) Complete your resting metabolic rate test with your Naturopathic Doctor – You will be fitted with the PNOE device and asked to rest on a table quietly for 10 minutes. The device will track your oxygen intake and CO2 expired. This test provides us with the data required to properly program your nutrition plan.
6) Complete your active metabolism test with your Naturopathic Doctor – After your resting metabolic rate test you will be asked to choose between the stationary bike or treadmill for your active metabolism test. After a three minute warm up you will be guided through a ramp exercise test. Each minute the test will become more difficult until you are too exhausted to continue your pace. This test will tell us at which heart rate you burn calories most efficiently and how fit you are aerobically.
7) Results will be assessed by the PNOE exercise physiology team and presented by your Naturopathic Doctor 2-3 days later via a phone or in-person consultation. You will be given resting metabolic rate data and VO2 Max values during this review (and how they compare to normals for your age, height and gender).
8) In that consultation an exercise and nutrition plan will be developed by your Naturopathic Doctor to support your health and wellness goals (including optimizing for weight loss if necessary). You will be asked to complete 4-6 weeks of this plan before you follow up with your Naturopathic Doctor and 12 weeks before performing another PNOE Metabolic test.
9) A report will be generated by PNOE assessing your overall health. Please see below for an example graphic. This report will outline your lung, heart, mitochondrial, mechanical, breathing and fat burning health and ability. This report will include your exercise zones (for zone specific training) and advice regarding programming to further help individualize your exercise and nutrition programs.
SAMPLE PNOE REPORT
What to Expect
Resting Metabolic Rate Test: During the resting test you simple breath into the PNOE device for 10 minutes. The machine to analyzes your breathing and reports total calorie burn and fuel utilization data (fats or carbs).
Active Metabolism Test: The active metabolism test is an exercise test to determine calorie burn, lung health and cardiovascular function. It requires the Naturopathic Doctor to challenge your aerobic fitness on an exercise bike or treadmill over a period of 15 minutes. After a 3 minute warm up difficulty is increased by a set amount each minute until exhaustion. Please wear exercise gear and expect a short workout. During the test the machine analyzes your oxygen consumed per breath, how efficient you clear CO2 and how your body responds to exercise. The data obtained helps the Naturopathic Doctor properly program your exercise plan.
The test is followed by a 2 minute cool down and a review of results.
Who can benefit from PNOE at Noble?
The four pillars of functional health/self care include sleep, stress reduction, healthy diet and exercise. At Noble we believe in precision everything. PNOE gives us the ability to prescribe precision exercise and nutrition programs. It also allows us to assess key organ function in chronic disease and shows us the reasons for plateau or difficulty losing weight in those who have struggled with their weight loss programs. We are truly treating the cause in these cases thanks to this tool.
Here are a few examples of how Noble has used PNOE for both assessment and theraputics:
- Precision weight loss – building exercise plans, training for fat loss, avoiding burning, diagnosis the cause of a plateau
- Chronic fatigue – mitochondrial health
- Cardiovascular disease – VO2 max, aerobic fitness, tissue oxygenation
- Respiratory disease – ventilation exchange ratio, breathing frequency, O2 volume, VO2 max
- Post concussion syndrome – mitochondrial health, posture, breathing efficiency
- Cancer therapy – metabolic efficiency, weight loss
- Metabolic disease/Diabetes – weight loss, building an effective exercise plan for glucose control
- High Performance Athletes – event prep, training schedules, live training
Direct Billing Available Now
We offer direct billing to most extended medical plans at Noble.
To determine the extent of your coverage please call us to request a “Naturopathic estimate”.
Dr. David Duizer ND, rmc
Naturopathic Doctor and Metabolism Expert
Dr. David Duizer has an expertise in metabolism assessment and treatment. He has completed over 500 resting and active metabolism assessments and has worked with patients of all presentations ranging from obesity to hypothyroidism to elite athletes.
Dr. Duizer is a member in good standing of the College of Naturopathic Physicians of British Columbia.
Curious about Metabolism Assessment?
Noble will be releasing web content, case studies, videos and educational materials about PNOE periodically. Check back here to view what we have added. PNOE is an excellent addition to our testing and treatment tools at Noble. We look forward to your next test. If you have questions not answered on this page book a free chat with one of our Naturopathic Doctors to have them answered.